The purpose of the League of Women Voters is to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation in government. The League of Women voters is nonpartisan in that it does not support or oppose any political candidate; it is political in that it takes positions on selected governmental issues after member study and agreement.
League of Women Voters of Hillsborough County
Nonpartisan Policy – reviewed and adopted June 25, 2016
This policy is to be reviewed and endorsed or revised by the League of Women Voters of Hillsborough County ("LWVHC") Board of Directors (“Board”) at the beginning of each League year and subsequently published in the VOTER.
The purpose of the LWVHC is to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation in government after member study and agreement.
The League of Women Voters is nonpartisan in that it does not support or oppose any political party or candidate; it is political in that it takes positions on selected governmental issues.
While the League urges its members to be politically active, certain constraints are necessary in order to maintain the nonpartisanship of the organization. Therefore, the Board has established the following guidelines in order to protect the League's nonpartisan reputation:
Board of Directors
The Board has the responsibility to maintain the nonpartisanship of the organization.
- Other than the President, President Elect and the Voter Service Chair, all Board members may take active, visible roles in political campaigns, non-League issues, host or attend political and political- fundraising functions, make contributions and otherwise publicly associate with a candidate's campaign.
- Any Board member, upon resignation from the Board, may run for or hold political office. However, public notices released by the League announcing the resignation of the Board member must be carefully worded to avoid the appearance of the League's endorsement of the resigning Board member's candidacy.
- The political activities of a spouse or relative of, or other person in a close personal relationship with, a Board member should be considered as separate and distinct from the activities of the Board member.
- When there is doubt as to whether a conflict of interest exists with a Board member's political activity, the matter shall be resolved by a vote of the Board, excluding the person(s) who may have the possible conflict.
Members are encouraged to participate fully in the political process, serve on public boards and commissions, and participate in political activities as individuals without implying or receiving League endorsement. When acting in the public as League representatives, members must not allow partisanship to be discernible. Therefore, to help ensure the League's nonpartisanship, the following guidelines apply:
- No candidate materials shall be distributed during League functions, except at specified events.
- Only the LWVHC President and/or his or her designee may present League statements to governmental boards, commissioners, or the media.
- Since a general policy cannot cover every situation, the Board is empowered to deal with specific cases as they arise.
Once the League (local, state or national) takes a position on an issue, members may not identify themselves as League members when publicly expressing an opinion that is in opposition to a League position.
League Membership List
The League's Directory and/or any other list of members and their contact information will not be made available for non-League use.